How Naturopathy Can Help With Infertility
Infertility is characterized by difficulty in conceiving after having unprotected intercourse for a period of one year and effects both men and women. There can be many factors that contribute to a couple experiencing infertility.
Factors that can contribute to infertility:
• Not Having intercourse in your fertile window
• Ovulation problems: for e.g., polycystic ovary syndrome or poor egg quality
• Pelvic organ pathology such as endometriosis or fibroids
• Abnormal cervical mucus
• Chronic stress
• Thyroid diseases
• Nutritional deficiency, poor diet, dehydration
• Unhealthy body weight
• Low sperm count, morphology or motility
Common diagnostic blood tests and imaging to determine cause(s) of infertility:
● Female reproductive hormone tests
● Thyroid tests
● Lipid profile
● Blood sugar
● Vitamin D
● Pelvic Ultrasound
● Semen analysis
● Male reproductive hormone tests
So how can a Naturopath help manage your infertility?
Your Naturopath will take a detailed history of diet, stress, menstrual history, any health issues, family history, bloodwork/tests, medications/supplements etc. and create an individualized management plan. This plan can include diet management, herbal supplements, acupuncture, cupping etc. Your Naturopath will work with other members of your health care team to create a collaborative treatment plan. Our Naturopath Dr. Amani El Sawaf recommends 5 practices to lower your chances of infertility.
1. Choose slow carbs (foods that are rich in fiber and take longer to digest, leaving us fuller longer)
2. Avoid trans-fats (fried foods, sugary foods, processed foods)
3. Eat less animal proteins and eat more plant proteins
4. Drink one glass of whole milk a day
5. Manage your weight
If you think you might be dealing with infertility, and want to speak to a Naturopath, Dr. Amani El Sawaf is accepting new patients! You can book a free consultation here.